We are now in week three of Russian assault on Ukraine and its people. It is awe inspiring how so many have come together to help, globally and locally. Poland has welcomed refugees, Israel has sent a field hospital, the United States and the other industrialized nations are sanctioning Putin and the oligarchs to cripple their wealth. Here at home, your support has rallied thousands to give. In just two weeks, our Federation has raised and allocated over $80,000 — far exceeding our initial goal — that goes directly to help provide interim housing, fuel for evacuation buses, in-home health care for those who are homebound, and assistance to nearly 10,000 applicants for Aliyah to Israel. That money is already being put to work to do what it is meant to do. You are making an immediate difference in the lives of those who need it most.
Collectively, the Jewish Federations across the globe raised and allocated an astonishing $24.5 million for aid for Ukraine Crisis. The funds are going to The Jewish Agency for Israel, The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, and World ORT, as well as United Hatzalah, Hillel International, Nefesh B’Nefesh, HIAS, Israel Trauma Coalition, Hadassah Medical Organization, Chabad, and Shma Yisrael.
According to our estimates, our funds have already had impact in the following ways:
- 5,000+ Jewish refugees have been evacuated
- 650+ Jewish Ukrainian refugees have arrived as new olim in Israel
- 4,130 beds were rented
- 23,000+ calls have been received at various hotlines
- Over 70% of the requests are for food, medicines, and evacuation
- 7,000 refugees have received on-the-ground support in Ukraine
- Supporting more than 1,000 locations across Ukraine
- Serving as the lifeline for 40,000 Jewish elderly and 2,500 poor Jewish children
It is thanks to YOUR generosity that we are able to make such a powerful and meaningful impact.